Sunday, August 08, 2004

Uplifting Story Interlude

I haven't been feeling myself lately. Down. Depressed. Blue. In the Dumps. The reason, I think, is the whiff of failure. I catch it's moldy scent everywhere. Or almost everywhere, anyway. More than half of the things I've tried lately have failed. More than half.

I was in this unhappy mood when the big pediatrician invited me to accompany him to a ball game. His brother-in-law, a Brit, came, too, for his first look at baseball.

The Brit was full of questions. I played native guide. When the first batter was announced, the Brit asked about the numbers the scoreboard flashed.

That's his batting average, I said.

.340? Not very good, 'eh?

What do you mean? I retorted. If he keeps that up, he'll go to the Hall of Fame.

The Brit gave me a look. The Hall of Fame? On that batting average? He only does his job 34 percent of the time. He fails more than half the time he bats.

He fails more than half the time, I thought. And he's on pace for the Hall of Fame.

Every day, a bas kol.(1)
---

(1) ie a heavenly voice. The Mishna says one goes forth every day with words of encouragement or advice.

Comments:

If half of your endeavors are failing, it just means that, baruch Hashem, you are engaged in very challenging endeavores that all involve some risks. You aren't sitting at home taking the easy route. If you want to succeed all the time, then just set out to do only easy things. But don't complain when you get bored.

Every failure is a chance to learn something new about yourself and about the world that you will then take into your NEXT endeavor and increase its chance for success. Believe me, I know, because I've been there, BIG TIME.

Eventually, the will of Hashem will match yours, and things will start to go smoothly. Anyone who is going to reach for things beyond their grasp is going to go through some tough times. But that's what a Heaven's for, you know?

Chayyei Sarah  

Nah. It's just that Protocols hasn't noticed me yet. Kidding. Thanks for the advice. I'll be fine. As the Brit taught me, you can fail half the time and still be on your way to Cooperstown (home of the Baseball Hall of Fame)It's a mussar haskil, no?  

Your condition is called "meh". See Cara's blog.

Carasworld.blogspot.com  

Meh?  

Yes, 'meh' See carasworld.  
Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?